Frequently Asked Questions

How can I file a Complaint about my Financial Institution?

We do a lot of things here at BauerFinancial, but since we are a private research firm, and not a government agency, fielding complaints about financial institutions is not really one of them. However, we know that sometimes things do happen and in that regrettable event, you need to know to whom you can turn for help. To that end, we are providing this guide.If you think your financial institution: 

  • has been unfair or misleading,
  • discriminated against you in lending,
  • violated a federal consumer protection law or regulation, or
  • if you have any other dispute

with a bank or credit union, you will want to contact the entity that supervises or regulates that institution. Knowing what entity that is (or are), though, can be a challenge, to say the least.

The following table should serve as a guide, but bear in mind, you do not have to limit yourself to one agency:

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation  

In addition to insuring all banks, the FDIC supervises State-chartered banks that are NOT members of the Federal Reserve System.

877.275.3342 (877-ASKFDIC)

Hearing Impaired 800.925.4618

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Or OCC, is the primary regulator for National Banks and Federal Savings Associations.


TTY 800.877.8339

Federal Reserve

The Federal Reserve supervises State-chartered banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System.


TTY 877.766.8533

National Credit Union Administration

Or NCUA supervises and regulates all Federal Credit Unions.


Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

The CFPB is the secondary regulator for all of the aforementioned and in addition to taking your complaints, it offers a wide variety of help on money topics.


Each State

In addition to the Federal Regulator, State-chartered banks and credit unions are all regulated by the Department of Financial Institutions for their state. You can find the state regulatory agencies by doing an internet search on “department of banking” or “department of financial institutions” + the “state” name.